Web designers develop the design, layout, and graphics of a website and often coordinate with a web developer for coding of a website. A web designer should possess different skills including imagination, creativity, attention to detail, a knack for picking aesthetically pleasing colors, analytical skills, communication skills, and technical ability. The main responsibility of a web designer constructs the overall look and feel of a website.
Skills required to become a web designer
As a web designer, you should know how to combine visuals and content harmoniously. Apart from these, you should also have technical skills, collaboration, and communication skills. Check out some of the key skills required to become a web designer:
- Should know the principles of visual design
- Should know how to use right typographical choices to deliver appropriate messages
- Ability to create a visual harmony of text, design, and other elements
- Usage of software like Adobe Illustrator, XD, Photoshop, Figma, Webflow and others
- Basic knowledge of content management system
- SEO and trending keywords knowledge
- Creating web designs that are responsive
- Should have knowledge of User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI)
- Knowledge of web graphics can be an added advantage
- Patience is a skill you would need in every field of life
Key responsibilities of a web designer
Here are some of the key responsibilities of a web designer
- Creating website designs
- Meeting with clients to discuss requirements and status report
- Demonstrating and receiving feedback about draft sites
- Always be updated with the latest technology and software developments
- Developing additional skills and expertise in appropriate software/programming languages
- Creating websites that are user-friendly, effective, and visually appealing
- Editing and update visuals
- Be a part of a multidisciplinary team
Web designer salary in India
A web designer can work in different industries like – IT, Media, FMCG, Advertising agency, Entertainment industry, and many other sectors. As a result of its versatile nature, the demand of web designers is increasing rapidly across the country as well as their salary. An average web designer salary in India and range from Rs 4 lakh to Rs 7 lakh in the initial stages of career. Web Designer salary in India can be affected by multiple factors including – experience, location, skillset and company.
Overall, the demand of web designers is high in India, however, you should also note that the web designers have to face client pressure, hectic deadlines, intense competition and the challenge to create something out of the box every time.
If you are creatively aligned and aspiring to become a web designer in India, check out the carefully designed Web Designer Course at Dice Academy.
Want to know more about how to become a Web Designer? Submit your query below to get insights from our experts.